WELCOME TO THE GRIEF CLUB BOOK
BUY THE BOOK
Welcome to the club that no one ever wants to join but so many of us end up needing. We’re so sorry that you’re here.
Based on my own experience of grief— I lost a partner in my 20s—as well as those of other Grief Club members, I wrote this book of brief writings, illustrations, and creative diagrams to explore the wide range of emotions and experiences that grief can encompass.
For anyone who has lost a loved one or who is close to someone who is grieving, Welcome to the Grief Club is a book of solace, connection, hope, and reassurance. It addresses with empathy and honesty the aspects of grief that so many of us experience but that aren’t widely discussed: the variety and volatility of emotions—sadness, anger, guilt, joy; the physical symptoms of grief; and how grief isn’t linear, but it does change and soften over time. It affirms that there is truly no right or wrong way to grieve and assures us that the things we feel that surprise us or seem strange are often common and always valid.
Humor helps us to survive, and the book uses a lighthearted approach to cover powerful topics, like supremely unhelpful things that people say to those who are grieving, grief trigger bingo, and everyday acts of resilience. This book is a companion that says, I see you and you are not alone, from one grieving person to another. It is a gentle reminder to give yourself permission to grieve for as long as—and in whichever ways—you need.
“Grief is an overwhelming journey without a road map, but Janine Kwoh has generously given us this lantern to carry down an uncharted path. Welcome to the Grief Club provides instant community for one of the loneliest experiences a person can go through.” —Mari Andrew, New York Times bestselling author of Am I There Yet?
Other places to find the book:
Amazon | B&N | Bookshop | Workman
Press for Welcome to the Grief Club
- DeeDee Jackson Foundation - ‘Welcome To The Grief Club’ With Author, Janine Kwoh (Jan 19, 2023)
- The You Project- Welcome to the Grief Club - Janine Kwoh (Nov 8, 2022)
- Publishers Weekly - Holiday Gift Guide 2022: Nonfiction (Sept 30, 2022)
- Getting Under the Surface - Welcome to the Grief Club, a Discussion on Loss and the Grieving Process — Janine Kwoh (March 2022)
- Shelf Awareness Review from Reading Between The Lines by Kathleen Gerard - Welcome to the Grief Club: Because You Don't Have to Go Through It Alone (Feb 2022)
- Dougy Center Grief Out Loud Podcast - Welcome To The Grief Club - Janine Kwoh - Episode 216 (Feb 15, 2022)
- The SHOW UP Society Podcast - Ep. 115: artist and author janine kwoh helps people feel less alone (February 2022)